gEDA-user: macosx (10.3) - pcb 1.99j - blank menu's / drawing

I've been able to build and run gschem 20030901 fine on MAC OS/X (10.3).

However I've had a difficult time getting pcb 1.99j (20030815) to work
well with Panther. Compiling by hand or with fink 0.6.1 works fine for
me. The pcb binary starts and I can see the pcb workspace and buttons.
As I go to interact with the layout I am unable to create lines via
clicking or via the function keys. The Menu's do not draw themselves at
all when I choose a word at the top part of PCB.

There are some blurbs that in the fink pcb info files about the untested
nature of this release with regards to stroke support. I am a little
surprised it works this well.

Here is what I did to come this far.

1) Install Panther - MAC OS X (10.3)

2) Make sure that panther included X11 and the development tools
   are installed as well.

3) Obtain the latest fink (0.6.1) binary

4) Modify /sw/etc/fink.conf from stable/main and stable crypto to
   these:

   unstable/main unstable/crypto

5) fink index
   fink selfupdate
   fink update-all

6) Grab cvs snapshot of latest fink info.patch files:

   cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.ghz.cc:/home/cvsroot login
   passwd: <enter>
   cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.ghz.cc:/home/cvsroot co fink-geda .
   ^C after fink info/patch files make it down
   cd fink-geda
   cvs update -r geda_20030901

7) Copy fink info and patch files to this directory:

   /sw/fink/dists/local/main/finkinfo/

8) Make sure your gcc is 3.3 based.

   sudo gcc_select 3.3

9) fink -y install geda-gschem