Re: gEDA-user: Gschem title box enhancement request...

Charles Lepple wrote:

On Tuesday, November 11, 2003, at 09:39 AM, Bill Cox wrote:

The title box stuff certainly looks good, but there's no schematic title in them, which is all I realy want. I have to add documentation attributes myself. Also, if I ever re-name a schematic (which I seem to do often), I have to also remember to change the title on the schematic.

I find that schematics get renamed a lot less when you start using something like CVS, which doesn't have very good rename capabilities :-)

So... Is there any way to get gschem to display the design name? Perhaps some sort of parameter substitution where if I write comment={design_name}?

I don't know of any such system inside gschem.

However, you can try something like cvstitleblock-1.sch. The CVS $keyword$ tags get updated (to $keyword: value$) every time you commit or update files.

It takes a little time to wrap your head around version control, but it is a decent way to share schematics in your development group. I would suggest CVS (for stability) or Subversion (has a cleaner design, but is more bleeding-edge). BitKeeper may also do keyword substitution, but I'm not interested in the ensuing flamefest from such a suggestion :-D

On the Windows side of things, there is a right-click menu extension called TortoiseCVS (or TortoiseSVN for Subversion) which makes version control rather painless in day-to-day work. For *nix, if you are scared of the command line, there are a few graphical front ends such as Cervisia for KDE.

HTH,

Thanks! This rocks! I'm already under CVS, but stupid me... I tried every title block but the CVS one!

Bill