Re: gEDA-user: Comments after successfully running gnetman . . . .

[ . . . . snip lots of good info . . . .]
> Some of my wishlist:
>
>   - Be able to watch/change attributes of more than one part. There are
> times when I just want to check an attribute of a set of parts (and
> change it if it's wrong). I can now change the attribute of a given set
> of parts, but I can't check, watch or compare them in a single window.
> I'm thinking in a matrix, when each row is a given part, and each column
> an attribute. Be able to select some of them using Control and/or Shift
> keys could be a good thing.
>
>   - The above point can be extended to nets and other types of objects,
> but I don't want to mix parts with nets, for example, so maybe Orcad
> solution is good: they use a notebook where each tab is only for one
> type of object (one for parts, another for nets,...). I wouldn't want to
> attach a netname attribute to a part, so some sanity checking should be
> done here.

Some time ago we discussed a separate program called "gattrib" which
would read in a set of .sch files, and build a spreadsheet with
refdeses listed horizontally, and the associated attributes listed
vertically:

	Device		Value		Footprint	etc.
R1	RESISTOR	100K		0603
R2	RESISTOR	200K		0805
U1	uA741				SO8
etc

I'm still looking at that . . . .

[ . . . . ]

> I know someone suggested some time ago to use GtkSheet widget for
> attributes. It wasn't done, maybe because it will require another
> library dependency.

Well, I can only speak for myself.  I've done nothing so far because I
am still trying to get my head around GUI programming . . .

> Gtk has now a very interesting widget: a treeview with editable fields.
> It allows to display a list, maybe organized in a tree, edit the values
> on the fly (single line text, I think), and display even checkboxes as
> values.=20
> You can take a look at it if you run the program "gtk-demo". In Debian
> it's in a package called "gtk2.0-examples". If you run it, double click
> on the three examples of the treeview widget.
>
> I think this widget could be a good candidate for an attribute
> display/edit window. I havent' played with it yet, so I don't know all
> the possibilities of this widget, or if we can do all what we want with
> it (this should be checked before).
>
> Just some thoughts...

Interesting thoughts.  Thank you for your ideas!

Stuart