gEDA-user: dxf support

An issue that I am running up against is the need for a pcb to
physically interface to a mechanical object.

The mechanical object is typically designed in Autocad (though it could
be any mechanical cad package). I would like to have the ability to
import/export dxf (or dwg?) files from/to pcb files. Silk screen
outlines is what I am thinking for now. In the future, it could be a
seperate pcb layer.

Has anyone else attempted this?

A little research has turned up two gpl libraries which support the dxf
file format. Both are written for C++ (http://www.coin3d.org/lib/dime/
and dxflib which is used(part of?) qcad.

This is a this weeks issue for me so if you have any insite please
respond quickly.

Thanks,

Steve Meier