Re: gEDA-user: dxf support

On 11/1/05, Steve Meier <smeier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> An issue that I am running up against is the need for a pcb to
> physically interface to a mechanical object.
>
> The mechanical object is typically designed in Autocad (though it could
> be any mechanical cad package). I would like to have the ability to
> import/export dxf (or dwg?) files from/to pcb files. Silk screen
> outlines is what I am thinking for now. In the future, it could be a
> seperate pcb layer.
>
> Has anyone else attempted this?
>
> A little research has turned up two gpl libraries which support the dxf
> file format. Both are written for C++ (http://www.coin3d.org/lib/dime/
> and dxflib which is used(part of?) qcad.
>
> This is a this weeks issue for me so if you have any insite please
> respond quickly.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve Meier

Here's what I did:

In qcad, print to a postscript file (at 1:1)

Use my hacked pstoedit to make it an object on the silk layer.
http://vivara.net/software/pstoedit_additions/

I used this approach to import logo artwork from Inkscape, and to
import footprints directly from datasheets.

You can also use pstoedit to go from PCB's postscript output to DXF.

Regards,
Mark
markrages@gmail
--
You think that it is a secret, but it never has been one.
  - fortune cookie