Re: gEDA-user: Autogeneration of schematic symbols

Hi Mark,

so far I haven't looked at the generated symbols, only to the generated
text.

On Sunday 06 November 2005 09:43, Mark Rages wrote:
> This might save some time for somebody.
>
> http://vivara.net/cgi-bin/gschem-digikey.cgi
>
> Enter the digi-key part number and get a gschem component back.
>
> Only rectangular parts (eg DIP) are working now.

I think your cgi is much to "intelligent". It should just receive an
digikey-URL to an product information page like:
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?Ref=412929&Row=186907&Site=US

This would prevent your cgi from stopping with "more than 1 category".
(controllers sometimes show up as part and as a development kit)

> The generated component is a simple rectangle with pins numbered
> anticlockwise around the part.  So it's more of a starting point than
> a finished symbol.

> I am taking suggestions for other parts to autogenerate.  Due to the
> fuzzy nature of screen-scraping Digi-key listings, it's easier to
> make individual parts work (and hopefully do it in a generalized way)
> and I don't want to spend effort on parts nobody is going to use.

BTW: I haven't seen a link to the pin descriptions. Is there a special
login required to get them?

Another thing is the legal issue. Is it allowed to use that pin
descriptions or does someone see any copyright problems?

regards
Werner