Re: gEDA-user: Autogeneration of schematic symbols

On 11/6/05, Werner Hoch <werner.ho@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> so far I haven't looked at the generated symbols, only to the generated
> text.
>
> I think your cgi is much to "intelligent". It should just receive an
> digikey-URL to an product information page like:
> http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?Ref=412929&Row=186907&Site=US
>
> This would prevent your cgi from stopping with "more than 1 category".
> (controllers sometimes show up as part and as a development kit)

Just enter the exact DK part number.  I'm going to make a bookmarklet,
so you can just browse DK and click a button to get the gschem part.

> > The generated component is a simple rectangle with pins numbered
> > anticlockwise around the part.  So it's more of a starting point than
> > a finished symbol.
>
> BTW: I haven't seen a link to the pin descriptions. Is there a special
> login required to get them?

It DOESN'T HAVE pin descriptions.  Only "pin1", "pin2", etc.  The user
would have to type them in from the datasheet.  I would love to have
pin descriptions, but the only place to get them that I know of is
from the datasheet, and that would be an interesting AI problem.
Although, I tried with limited success to use the 'pdftotext' filter.

> Another thing is the legal issue. Is it allowed to use that pin
> descriptions or does someone see any copyright problems?

I don't know if you can copyright something like pin descriptions.
But anyway, I can't imagine a company wanting to sue an engineer for
using that company's part in their design.

Regards,
Mark
markrages@gmail
--
You think that it is a secret, but it never has been one.
  - fortune cookie