Re: gEDA-user: Autogeneration of schematic symbols

Hi Lucas and all,

On Sunday 06 November 2005 20:58, Lucas Vogelsang wrote:
> > Von: Bob Paddock <bob.paddock@xxxxxxxxx>
> > On Sunday 06 November 2005 06:34 am, Werner Hoch wrote:
> > > Another thing is the legal issue. Is it allowed to use that pin
> > > descriptions or does someone see any copyright problems?
> >
> > 99.9995%+ of data sheets have copyrights on them.  If we can't use
> > the pin descriptions then we are all screwed.

I think there's a difference between copying the information and using
the information.

> But how can one have a copyright on a description like:
>
> 1: GND
> 2: CLK
> 3: Vcc
> 4: PORTD

Someone may have worked hard on typing the information in that computer
readable manner.

> In this case it is obvious that one uses this pinout description so
> they can't say anything against this. Of course this may not be the
> same for very complex PICs but I think it should be OK to use for
> normal not too special parts.

???: I'm voting for equal rights for every part ;-)

regards
Werner
PS: I should stop reading the books of Lawrence Lessig. It makes me
paranoid.