Re: gEDA-user: fpga

On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 02:32:41PM +0100, antonio bergnoli wrote:
> Darrel Harmon wrote:
> >
> >In the project I am currently working on, I am trying to do most
> >of the work in a DSP rather than the FPGA so users can make more
> >modifications without having to install non free sofware.
> >

> Do you mean that you have a complete toolchain to play with DSP under
> Linux ? Or do you use even devel tools provided by  vendors?
>
> >Darrell Harmon
> >http://dlharmon.com
>

> --
> Antonio Bergnoli
>
> INFN Sez Padova
> Via Marzolo n.8
> 35131 Padova ITALY
>
> Tel  +39 049 827 7093
> Cell +39 328 232 8803

Yes, the only tools I am using are either self written or from the
uClinux site (http://blackfin.uclinux.org). I do plan to release
my utilities and a small RTOS for the Blackfin sometime in December.
The tools on the uClinux site are just patched gcc/binutils. I am
not sure of the status of getting the patches into the official GNU
source.

The utilities I am writing/have written include:
bin2ldr: a program that translates the binary output of gcc to
the format the bootrom wants. Currently working, but needs more
flexibility.

flashloader: basically just an in system programmer for the flash
on DSPCARD. Requires the use of a small programming board.

bfinboot: A small bootloader to allow serial upload of kernels or
other software without the need for the programming board. Work is
in progress

bfinrtos: A small RTOS designed to fit entirely within the SRAM
of the DSP. Speed is a very high priority. I currently have
multiple tasks running, USB 2.0 device partially working and some
system calls implemented. The chip is Harvard architecture, so that
creates some interesting problems, but the performance boost is
worth it.

What I have done to date is stored in a subversion repository with
anonymous read access at svn://dlharmon.com/dspcard/trunk It is
mostly broken at this time.

Darrell Harmon
http://dlharmon.com/dspcard