Re: gEDA-user: which linux?

On Sat, 5 Nov 2005, Samuel A. Falvo II wrote:

> On 11/5/05, Syed Faisal Akber <faisal@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > You just asked a very sensitive question.  Asking which distribution to
> > use is like asking one's religion.  There are no good or bad answers (most
> > of the time).  Some distributions have merits over others and vice-versa.
> >
> > I prefer Slackware.
>
> Agreed. I'm VERY happy with Slackware, at least as of 10.0.  I do need
> to try upgrading though -- I've been meaning to do so for quite some
> time.

I still have machines running Slackware 2.3 with manually upgraded kernels
and other components.  Slackware usually doesn't have a lot of garbage,
nor customized code for a particular customer that makes its way to the
general public because the customer doesn't want to maintain the code
themselves.

> However, I'm actually interested in Linux From Scratch, because I'd
> really like to learn the ins and outs of Linux distributions a lot
> better.

I too prefer to do this, and used to do this on embedded devices.
However, I'm too lazy to do in on PC's.

> > I suggest that you try the various different versions before sticking to a
> > particular flavour of Linux.  If you can get your hands on VMware
> > Workstation, you can install Linux in a Virtual Machine while running
> > windows.  Try out each distribution until you find the one you like.
>
> If you don't want to use VMware for whatever reason, there are
> alternatives.  qemu is my personal recommendation.  It's completely
> free too, but it does (as far as I know for Linux, and I assume it
> applies for Windows too) lack a convenient GUI interface.

There are a lot of different alternatives to VMware, like Bochs etc.  I
just find that VMware is the most well known.  And usually the best in
terms of performance.

73,
Faisal