Re: gEDA-user: Installation on Ubuntu 5.10

On 10/11/05, jens persson <jens@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hugo Leeney wrote:
>
> >I have been trying my best to get gEDA successfully installed on
> >Ubuntu Linux for a while now.
> >

> <snip>
>
> >From my point of view there are 2 problems. The first is that
> >pkg-config is installed on my system but that gEDA can't find it.
> >
> <snip>
>
> > When I have allowed the installer to try install pkg-config
> >as it wants to, it asks for my root password (Ubuntu uses sudo, so i
> >give it my user name with root priveledges), and then it times out.

I've got most of the suite running successfully under 5.10, I find it
much easier in general to use a root user with ubuntu, rather than
using sudo, simply "sudo passwd" to set one up with a password.  I had
to let the installer install pkg-config, even though it was already
there.  Other than that I had only the usual gcc 4.0 problems, but
they were for packages I'm not using.

The Ubuntu packages do not work at all.

Peter.