gEDA-user: Installation on Ubuntu 5.10

Hi,

I have searched the mailing lists and used Google without success
regarding this matter.

I have been trying my best to get gEDA successfully installed on
Ubuntu Linux for a while now. I have tried using the CD installation
and apt-get. apt-get installed the packages without errors but when
trying to run gschem I got errors (due to configuration problems).

I went back to the CD installation and tried a little harder. Here is
the install.log

This is the log window which will display the
spew generated by the installation process

gEDA Installer -- version 20050830,
Copyright (C) 2004 -- 2005 Stuart D. Brorson.

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

GNU General Public License for more details:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307, USA.

Checking for various required programs . . .

which gcc
   /usr/bin/gcc

which make
   /usr/bin/make

which gtk-config

gtk-config is missing on this machine.
We'll tell the user about that in a minute.

which pkg-config
   /usr/local/bin/pkg-config
We need to install pkg-config on this machine.  We'll do that in a minute.

find /usr/include /usr/local/include -name 'readline.h' -print | grep
'include/readline/readline.h'
   /usr/include/readline/readline.h
readline.h found on this system.  Great!

which guile-config
   /usr/bin/guile-config
guile-config version 1.6.7 found.
guile-config version found on this system is good.  Great!

which wx-config
   /usr/bin/wx-config
wx-config version 2.6.1 found.
wx-config version found on this system is good.  Great!

which wish
   /usr/bin/wish
tclsh version 8.4 found.
tclsh version found on this system is good.  Great!

Warn the user that he's missing gtk-config.

Now start process of building and installing pkg-config.

I need root in order to execute this command.

    ---  Starting expect session  ---
Sending su
Timeout waiting for password prompt
Spew received up to now: ]0;root@buffy:
/home/phoebus/Desktop/gEDAroot@buffy:/home/phoebus/Desktop/gEDA#

From my point of view there are 2 problems. The first is that
pkg-config is installed on my system but that gEDA can't find it. I
have tried removing and reinstalling several version using tars and
apt-get and installing in different locations but haven't had any
success. When I have allowed the installer to try install pkg-config
as it wants to, it asks for my root password (Ubuntu uses sudo, so i
give it my user name with root priveledges), and then it times out. I
launch the installer from a root terminal so i don't understand fully
why the installation of pkg-config requires a password anyway.

I'm about to resolve to installing all the different tools manually
but if anyone has any insight into this problem please let me know.

Many Thanks,

Hugo