Re: gEDA-user: pcb SMT footprints

Wojciech Kazubski wrote:
On my list of things to do is a big library cleanup.  In CVS, there are
good footprints in ~geda for things like 0603 which follow the IPC
naming conventions.  I suppose my next step should be to kill all of the
others.

Are this names easy to learn?
My friend uses Cadstar to design PCBs. The program uses numeric designator for footprints, and he cannot do anything without a copybook containing package names, (or drawings) and translation to Cadstar numbers.

Wojciech Kazubski

yes and no. For example an 0603 capacitor is CAPC2012L, CAPC2012N, and CAPC2012M. L=least, N=nominal, M=most. So if you want to be agressive with small pads use the "L", and "M" for larger pads. The 2012 is from the metric dimensions.

Since many people may be using just "0603" as the footprint name, I left those names and they basically refer to something which is based on the nominal footprint for capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

Right now 0201 through 1825 size packages have IPC footprints.

So, are they easy to learn? Maybe, but at least you have a fighting chance of some consistancy. In other words, you probably have the best chance of getting the same footprint with the same name in another package.

-Dan