gEDA-user: slotting problem

I seem to be having slotting problems with gschem. If I add a 7474
component, for instance, and change its slot number to 2, the pin
numbers don't update. In the gschem log I see:

Opened file [/home/des0prb/geda/share/gEDA/sym/74/7474-1.sym]
numslots attribute missing
Slotting not allowed for this component
numslots attribute missing
Slotting not allowed for this component
numslots attribute missing
Slotting not allowed for this component

If I save and reload, the pin numbers are then right. Also, if I save
before changing the slot number, then reload and change the slot number,
the pins update ok.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a known bug? I'm using
gschem-20061020 built from sources (the latest ones on the source
download page). There's some reference on the list to a similar problem,
but only a suggestion to upgrade to a newer version, which I thought I
had.