gEDA-user: Bug when printing a schematic with pictures?

Hi all,

I dug through the mailing list as best as I could, and did not find any specific mention of this issue, so I thought I would post here and see if anyone else is experiencing it or has a solution.

I am running gschem version 20050820 on a Mac OSX machine. I realize this version is a tad out of date, but it is the newest package I could find that would work on the Mac with just a compile.

Recently, I started using the picture insert feature in gschem to include a logo, which is composed of a graphic along with some text. The format of this logo is PNG, greyscale. I have also tested this bug with a greyscale jpeg, same results.

The bug is that if you are not zoomed in on the picture when you go to 'print' the schematic to PostScript, the resulting picture in the PostScript ends up being blurry. That is to say, it seems that whatever viewing aspect you currently have determines what resolution the picture will have in the PostScript file. If you are fully zoomed out, the picture ends up to be blurry and unreadable. However, if I zoom in such that the picture fills the screen, then the embedded picture comes out completely clear. The rest of the schematic is not affected either way.

Is this indeed a bug, or some kind of wacky feature? :) This zoom in workaround is OK for now, but slightly annoying. However, the picture insert feature is fantastic, though...

I can provide some examples in case this was not very clear.

Steve Ball
Snurkle Engineering