gEDA-user: connecting symbols that look nothing like their footprint

Hi all,
I'm at the stage in my circuit design where I need to start worrying about
converting my schematic to a PCB.  I was playing with PCB earlier today and I
found the official PCB documentation to be very, very helpful - I wish the
gschem docs were as good (the gschem wiki seems a little scattered to me, but
maybe I just can't figure out how to navigate it efficiently).  Anyways, in
my searches I haven't found anything relating to my particular question.  I
have a MOSFET in my circuit, so naturally I added the appropriate symbol from
the gschem symbol library (I think it was "mosfet with diode 1").  This has
the oddity of having the pin numbers be G, D and S instead of actual
numbers...  But I can rename them to numbers or rename the footprint to
those; my real problem has to do with the fact that my FET's package is SO8.
3 pins are source, 4 are drain and 1 is gate.  How to I convey to gschem that
the single source and drain symbol pins should actually be connected to
multiple physical pins?  This issue has also come up with parts that have
many ground connections, such as the ADXL321 accelerometer; it would be
logical for the symbol to have 1 ground pin connected to many physical pins,
but until I ran up against this problem with the FET, I just lived with
making the symbol look like the package.  Note: I understand how I can have a
symbol such as an op-amp which hides the power and ground pins; I just don't
know how to connect a single symbol pin to multiple physical pins.  I thought
about using the net attribute, but then I think all instances of my symbol
would end up connected together?

Sorry for being so long-winded, I was trying to be thorough.  I'd appreciate
any help you can give me in figuring this out.  Thanks,
Ryan