Re: gEDA-user: connecting symbols that look nothing like their footprint

Thank you for your quick replies.  Unfortunately, I don't think I adequately
conveyed my question... your answers didn't tell me anything I don't already
know.  Please pardon me for not quoting them, here, as between the 3 I
received so far, it would be a lot of text.  I'm aware it is bad practice to
hide power and ground pins (I hate symbols with hidden pins!)  I'm aware of
the option to redraw the symbol to look like the package, but the symbol
creation guidelines suggest laying out symbols to be logical rather than
reflect the actual look of the device.  I've previously used AutoTrax and
MultiSim (only the latter to produce a PCB) and never run into this issue -
MultiSim's library is extensive enough so that I never had to create my own
device.  I find it difficult to believe that there is no mechanism in place
to accomplish what I want - if that's true, I may just have to implement it.
Allow me to once again try to state my problem.  Both the FET and gyro I
referenced in my initial email have multiple pins with the same purpose.
This is different than having multiple but seperate power and ground
connections (for an op-amp, for example).  The SO8 package of the FET
contains only 1 FET.  It uses pins 1 through 3 for the source and 5-8 for the
drain so it can handle more current than a single lead on that size package
normally could.  I'm not hiding any pins or forcing them to be connected -
they actually are connected inside the device.  The standard FET symbol still
applies perfectly, as the device has only 3 connections despite having 8
pins.  I think this is a bit clearer - is the only option for me to redraw
the symbol to have 8 pins and then connect the ones that should be connected
on the schematic?

Thanks again,
Ryan