Re: gEDA-user: Hello list

phil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Darryl Gibson wrote:
I'm under time constraints to get this project done. So I'm cheating, and using RCY100 for the resistors.

uh ... what's rcy100?

I don't know! :)

But, an RCY100, is a radial lead component, that occupies two adjacent 100 mil holes in a perf. board. Which is _almost_ what I was looking for.

I'm doing my best to get my working project off the bread board, and hard wired on perf board. Using as little perf. board as possible.

I did get a very good suggestion from the LVLUG list, to use surface mount footprints for stuff you want to conserve space with.

I may try that in the future, but at the moment, I want to get this project up and running ASAP!

I'm monitoring a coal stoker furnace, which is in the basement, and I'm on the third floor of the building.

This circuit eliminates the need for me to run up and down the stairs to check the stoker.

I have a thermistor in the chimney, that gives me an indication of whether the stoker is running, idle, or burnt out.

I'm familiar with thermostats, and we have one, ONE, for all three floors of the building, and it is on the first floor.

So when the folks with control of the thermostat set it to 70f, it is 90f up here.

Which leads into why I want my bread board space back.

My next project is replacing the old thermostat with a Dallas/Maxim DS1620 chip. Which is a remotely controlled/programmables thermostat/temp. sensor.

Then I can control things from here.

--
Darryl Gibson N2DIY
RLU X 182668/379552

“Arms are the only true badges of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave.” -- Andrew Fletcher, A Discourse of Government with relation to Militias (1698)