Re: gEDA-user: Questioning the separate label rule for symbols

Michael Sokolov wrote:
 To me it seems much more logical and
consistent with the light symbols model to use the device= attribute as
the label -- this way I can have a light symbol with a default device=
value/label and override it in schematics.  Here are just a few examples
of how this is useful:

* I can use a light 74xx symbol and turn it into a 74ALSxx or 74FCTxx or
  whatever in a given design,

[jg] I like that approach.

So what then is the rationale for the rule of having a separate text
label and what are the consequences for breaking it?

[jg]A separate label could be even more generic/broad than the device attribute. There's not much consequence right now, especially if you write up good examples of how it can be used... we are talking about "How could more attribs be handled like refdes, where the attrib in the symbol is overrideable by attaching another attrib in the schematic it is placed in.

John Griessen