Re: gEDA-user: Questioning the separate label rule for symbols

[snip]
>All of these (and countless other examples that I leave for others to
>imagine) are trivial to do when the label is the value of the device=
>attribute which gets overridden as necessary.  But a non-attribute text
>label can't be overridden.
>
>So what then is the rationale for the rule of having a separate text
>label and what are the consequences for breaking it?

	Ah yes, this all boils down to the early (completely impractical)
desire to have a symbol library made up of "heavy" symbols primarily.
However, I have changed my mind completely and I no longer advocate such
an approach (as there simply isn't enough people power to implement and
maintain such a symbol library).

	I will change the symbol creation guide to not recommend the device=
and label= scheme.  A single device= attribute which can be overwridden is
a good way to go.

								-Ales

PS. and if I were to do it all over, I wouldn't use the net= attribute either
in the default symbol library.