Re: gEDA-user: LED in reverse

I did a electronics apprentiship ~30-odd years ago & understood 50% (enough for a pass mark). Then I had to teach it ~10 years ago...

What I discovered was that doping followed the laws of molecular bonding. No surprises there.

The activity that produces the depletion layer commences with ionic bonding (a dangling electron finds a greater attraction in a neighbour atom's 'hole' orbit than its own orbit. This produces 2x ions). The delpetion layer grows in width by this activity until the molecular bonding forces That hole the donor atom orbits in place equal the ionic bonding forces. Am I close? Did I lead those kids astray?
--
Greg