gEDA-user: Symbols and pin numbers

I have a question about creating symbols. In particular, assigning
pin numbers and footprint. The gEDA/gaf Symbol Creation Document
is directing me to give my symbol pins pinseq= and pinnumber=
attributes. I get the point of the pinseq= attribute, but the
pinnumber= is a little bit of a puzzle to me.

The problem is that my part (TI sn74avca406l) comes from the vendor
in two different packages, with slightly different pinout and
footprint. (One package adds a few reserved pins.) Do I just choose
a pinout and do the binding between pin and ball in the footprint,
or is this a choice that matters?

The creation guide also suggests including the footprint= attribute
to choose the footprint, but that may be obsolete advice given the
arguments past that I've seen on this list.

(Bear with me. "Resembles reality" is a new concept for a software
guy like me. It will take some adaptation.)

http://www.icarus.com         and lines to code before I sleep,