Re: gEDA-user: Re: gEDA-announce: Free Dog Gathering on Wed Dec 6th (one week and one day from today)

On Tue, 2006-11-28 at 07:11 -0500, Stuart Brorson wrote:
[snip]

> Good question.  We have had requests for IRC (and video feed) in the
> past, but haven't done anything to implement it yet.   Starbucks
> does have wireless service, but they have one of those evil corporate
> plans where you have to pay.  OTOH, there are plenty of free/open
> community wireless spots around Cambridge and Boston.  Maybe there
> will be one near enough the Starbucks that we can use it?  Maybe one
> of the participants can bring a wireless laptop and we can try to find
> an open network?  Ales, John?  (My laptop is still in the stone ages,
> wireless-wise.)

With luck. Our Starbucks has wireless, but I thought it was free for
customers. I might be wrong though. I wouldn't advocate furnishing their
pockets too much for wireless. Free is definitely the way to go!

[snip]

> >> *  All those branches in CVS!  How to merge them?
> > How on earth to manage the no-screen testing changes in a way which
> > doesn't create temporary breakage, or as one uber patch.
>
> Yes, all this is open for discussion.  One of the points behind Free
> Dog is to catalyze getting things done.  We will likely discuss and
> agree upon (hopefully) who will do the merging and when.  A code
> sprint during January has been mooted, so perhaps a big test and
> mergeathon could occur then?  Or during the Christmas lull beforehand?

Either sounds good. Once the glist-dev branch is merged, I think I can
start work merging my test code to a branch. Perhaps Ales + others want
to be involved to vet the changes though. I will have a think how any of
it might be split up into less weighty patches. Unfortunatly, it is
quite a far-reaching change, so the options boil down to large patches
to leave everything working ok at each commit, or lots of smaller
patches in different areas, but you need many / all of them to get a
working system back.

> >> *  What's going on with DBUS?
> > Work slowed due to time constraints, however much of the core is in
> > place. It needs tidying up, testing, and hopefully including in PCB.
>
> Thanks!  Maybe we'll try out what you have if we have time!

I'll have to shine up the patches to make sure they apply cleanly
against CVS HEAD again. Most of it is nearly ready for testing /
application. It is only a little tidyup needed in the pcb + dbus
("useful") code, and some housekeeping (more work) + tidyup needed in
the low level PCB <-> libdbus glue / framework code.

Perhaps I should try and knock up a simple "peer" for it, so you can
test running commands from a different app. xgsch2pcb (dbus version)
still needs a lot of work, and I was hoping to do it when Peter B. was
available for a hack fest.

[snip]

> > Is that EST? That makes it 12PM here I think.
>
> Yes, it's EST.  We get together after work.....  Makes it hard to
> participate from across the pond.  Sorry!  We should do some recon on
> our side about the availability of wireless before you drink a gallon
> of coffee and stay up all night to participate.  Maybe we can do a
> trial run this weekend?

12PM isn't too difficult. Might make work the next day a little zombie
like, but its not too bad.

If you want to try and check connectivity one weekend, that would be
fine with me. Let me know when and I'll confirm if I can be available.

Peter C.