Re: gEDA-user: Added PCB output to gnetman

Bill Cox wrote:
Hi.

I have started using gschem with David Rowe's Free Telephony Project,
and while it's great, I miss my nice hierarchical design methodology I
use for chip design with gschem.  So, I added pcb output.

I haven't tested it on an real PCB designs, so there are probably some
goobers.  If you do use it, I'll try to support you.

Also, would anybody feel better about gnetman if I put it up on
SourceForge?

Thanks,
Bill

It seems that a big hurdle is that none of us have DataDraw so it makes it hard to feel like we (well, I) have access to the complete sources.

As far as putting it on sourceforge, that could mean many things. I do think having cvs (or svn or whatever) contolled sources that can be browsed online and also accessed via anonymous cvs/svn is quite useful. I also think a visible bug tracker is quite useful. I'd also like to see some sort of release notes. It can be hard to figure out what has changed between versions.

I'm still wondering what, if anything, could be done to take what has been learned in gnetman and get it back into gnetlist while somehow not breaking all of the existing netlisters at once. I like that it is basically pretty easy to add gnetlist backends and that you don't have to recompile anything. Also gnetlist uses (I think) the same libraries for parsing the .sch files so there isn't an issue of keeping a .sch parser in sync. On the down side, gnetlist does not maintain hierarchy.

-Dan