Re: gEDA-user: OT: low noise microphone amp

Greg Cunningham wrote:
 Each channel had 4x A1084 PNP transistors and 4x MPSA06 FETs,
feeding a NJM4580L op-amp. I guess the PNPs were the amp & the FETs were current sources (???).

Could have been a follower to give drive power with low distortion. Not enough info to say.

It's a good design philosophy for that market: You get repairability, low cost of inventory of mfrg parts and repair parts stocking for long life product.

A company in my town is making lighting controls for performers by packing a stripped laptop in a wood box with button inputs, slider inputs going to an adapter board then into the PCI cards of the PC. They don't seem concerned with repairability...couldn't get them as a customer for a PCB layout and training to use PCB.

John G