Re: gEDA-user: gEDA/gaf capabilities

On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 13:47 -0500, eswint@xxxxxx wrote:
> Thanks for the replies.  I'm sure that geda/gaf will satisfy my needs in terms
> of coming up with new designs - I'm looking at making small circuit boards for
> 1-2 kW motor drive applications - nothing in RF or high speed - and I try to
> keep them to 2 layers so that I can make cheap protos.  That being said, the
> feature comparison checklist is a nice marketing tool.
>
> I do have one specific question on capability - I have an existing designs
> (schematics + layout) in PCAD and PADs formats.  Is there a method which will
> allow me to preserve some of this work?

I'm not aware of any, however can you check what the PCAD / PADS file
look like when you open in a text editor?

If it looks human readable, then send us some examples, and we'll see if
we can help. Unfortunately, many of the packages seem to use binary only
file-formats which are of course undocumented.

Do either package export to any other formats beside their native? (If
so, send a list, and it might give us some ideas for possible routes).

Best wishes,

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,