Re: gEDA-user: Schematic Level DRC DIscussion

On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 14:09 -0700, John Doty wrote:

> Better documentation of the Guile libgeda API would certainly be
> helpful. At the moment, existing examples are the best reference.

A serious question here..

What do people use that API for (besides gnetlist backends).

I ask, because I've got reason to suspect that doing anything
interesting with it isn't really possible at the moment. (Adding /
modifying components in arbitrary parts of the schematic).

Many of the hooks available are fairly impotent to change the schematic
structure / contents without risking a crash in the gschem / libgeda
code which called the hook. (At the very least, gschem has no real way
to know what changes you made and initiate a redraw ).

I'm not saying we shouldn't have the guile API here.. I'm saying, does
anyone use it in its present form? (IE.. what do we have to avoid
breaking when fixing it "properly" at some later date?)

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,