Re: gEDA-user: gEDA-dev: multiple windows on (kind of) the same gschem

On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 13:22 -0600, John Griessen wrote:
> John Doty wrote:
> >
> > On Nov 9, 2007, at 9:21 AM, John Griessen wrote:
> >
> >> how possible is opening multiple windows on the same gschem
> >> and copying from one to the other?
> >
> > Easy. Useful commands:
> >
> > Open a new window with File->New Window (fw)
> > Copy with Buffer->Copy into 1 (control-C)
> > Paste with Buffer->Paste from 1 (control-V)
>
> Peter Clifton wrote:
>  >. . . there isn't currently a way to have two open views of the same
>  > live schematic. It was the desire for such flexibility which drove me to
>  > start removing SCREEN coordinates cached from libgeda (they'd be
>  > different in both views). This was over a year ago ;)
>
> But, it somehow works...if you do it just right...
>

> I noticed there is a little extra to get results -- I could only go from
> the first window to the second window.
>
> In the other direction, buffer was empty.  and, of course there is no
> updating of what's in one window in the other...so
> a new placement from the buffer is seen in second window only.
>

> Let's keep this accidental feature enabled as we go, if possible...
> gschem version 20070526 or slightly newer from source is the one I just tested.

Paste buffers should work from any window to any other. If not, its a
bug.

If you've got the _same file_ open in two windows, then you're asking
for possible trouble and data-loss. Bonus points for the fact that the
auto-save backup will probably use the same filename for both, and
you'll have no recovery means.

I might be wrong, but I didn't think gschem / libgeda would _allow_
opening the same file twice.

Best wishes,

--
Peter Clifton