Re: gEDA-user: gschem, PCB and xgsch2pcb icons

On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 02:34 +0000, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 23:29:16 +0000, Peter Clifton wrote:
>
> > I've attached an SVG with some options. What do people like, any
> > suggestions?
>
> SVG is indeed the way to go. Hard coded pixel size won't blend into
> modern desktop styles. Attachments don't work for me, because I read the
> mailing list via gmane. Can you send the icons by mail? I can put them on
> display on my website.

Cool, thanks.

When you do that, please note that they are derivative works of Tomaz
Solc's gEDA mime type icons:
http://www.tablix.org/~avian/blog/archives/2007/04/22/T22_41_14/

Creator: Tomaz Solc
License: Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license (needs attribution)

and the Gnome gedit icon.
Creator: Lapo Calamandrei
Licence: GPL2

(We'll have to check license compatibility / get permission / whatever
before we actually use them).

I chatted to Tomaz about this before, and as far as I know, the CC SA
was because he started with a text-x-generic icon from the Tango base
theme (which was under that license).

As these app icons only copied bits which Tomaz drew, assuming Tomaz is
happy, we may be able to license those GPL2, and everything should work
nicely.

In any case, it would be nice to contact Lapo Calamandrei and let him
know, check he's cool with us basing from the gedit icon. (GPL2 says it
should be cool of course).

NB: svg is the way to _start_.. we also need the pixel perfect versions
for 48x48, 32x32, 22x22 (24x24 is the same, with a 1px border), and
16x16. I'm not going to fuss with the 8x8.

If we don't provide those, then the icons won't be as sharp / clear as
possible for toolbars etc., but at this stage, I'm just after feedback
on the design.

Best wishes,

Peter C.

--