Re: gEDA-user: gsch2pcb problem: caused by guile/Mandriva?

Op zondag 11-11-2007 om 20:55 uur [tijdzone +0000], schreef Peter
Clifton:
> On Sun, 2007-11-11 at 21:38 +0100, Richard Rasker wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Since I installed Mandriva 2008 (which offers guile 1.8.1), gsch2pcb
> > doesn't seem to work any more. After drawing a schematic with gschem,
> > and checking for (and of course correcting) errors with gnetlist, this
> > is what happens when gsch2pcb is invoked (Filter.sch contains a few
> > dozen components):
> >
> > $ gsch2pcb Filter.sch
> >
> > ---------------------------------
> > gEDA/gnetlist pcbpins Backend
> > This backend is EXPERIMENTAL
> > Use at your own risk!
> > ---------------------------------
> >
> > ERROR: Unbound variable: nil
>
> It sounds like you might not be using a recent enough version of gEDA to
> be compatible with guile 1.8.

I downloaded and installed the most recent ISO version I could find,
geda-install-20070221a.iso.

> It should work, and we rooted out the instances of "nil" some time back
> when this first showed up..
>
> You might be able to fix it, find where you installed geda, e.g.
> for /usr/local, go to:
>
> /usr/local/share/gEDA/scheme
>
> and "grep nil *.scm"
>
> The only leftovers I have are:
> pcb.scm:  (let ((f nil))
> pcb.scm:  (let ((f def nil))
>
> If you have others, open up the .scm file and replace the "nil" with
> "#f".

OK, I got half a dozen more of these. Applying your suggested changes
got rid of the first error message; however, the other problem persists:

$ gsc2pcb Filter.sch
Using the m4 processor for pcb footprints
/usr/bin/m4:stdin:37: bad expression in eval: / 2

>From here on, m4 is claiming 100% CPU, with memory usage skyrocketing,
and the size of the resulting .pcb file just keeps growing and growing,
until I kill the job. After this, I'm left with a seemingly correct
netlist file, and a correct .cmd file.
The .pcb file, however, is not OK at all. When opened with PCB, an error
message about a syntax error shows up:

  ERROR parsing file '/home/rr/Filter.pcb'
      line:        54

Line 54 contains a reference to a footprint definition I created:

  PKG_CHOKE_SU9V(CHOKE_SU9V,TX1,SU9V)

This is followed by a dozen or so empty lines. There are more of these
PKG_ lines, most of which seem to be connected to symbols and/or
footprints I created.
For all the rest, the .pcb file seems to contain mostly valid items, but
at a certain point, this shows up:

  Element(0x00 "" "" "" 142 50 3 100 0x00)
  (
	Pad(0 25 50 25 20 "1" 0x00)
	Pad(0 75 50 75 20 "2" 0x100)
	Pad(0 125 50 125 20 "3" 0x100)
	Pad(0 175 50 175 20 "4" 0x100)
	Pad(0 225 50 225 20 "5" 0x100)

The list with pad definitions goes on for thousands of lines, with ever
growing numbers:

	Pad(0 10975 50 10975 20 "220" 0x100)
	Pad(0 11025 50 11025 20 "221" 0x100)
	Pad(0 11075 50 11075 20 "222" 0x100)
	Pad(0 11125 50 11125 20 "223" 0x100)
	Pad(0 1742375 50 1742375 20 "34848" 0x100)
	Pad(0 1742425 50 1742425 20 "34849" 0x100)
	Pad(0 1742475 50 1742475 20 "34850" 0x100)

No doubt, this is the result of m4 being caught in some endless loop. I
don't quite understand what is wrong here -- both the symbol and
footprint definitions I created in PCB and gschem respectively seem just
fine (with all the right names, pinseq, pintype, other attributes
etcetera), and I get no complaints from either application when using
these definitions. Neither does gnetlist find anything wrong.

Does anyone have a clue what's wrong here?

Thank once more,

Richard Rasker