Re: gEDA-user: Simulation troubles ...

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 10:53:55 -0500, Dan McMahill wrote:

> Here are some questions I have about any tool for waveform viewing:

I'll fill in answers for xmgrace

> Can you update plots as more data becomes available?

Yes.
There is an option to automatically rescale the graph if new data points
exceed the visible limits.

> Is a cursor readout supported?

Not exactly like you seem to imply (apply a user configurable formular to
cursor readout). But there is a workaround: You can configure a
derivative graph that applies some math magic to the raw data. The cursor
will show the value of this second graph like any other.

> Custom gridlines?  (Rectangular, Polar, Nichols, Smith, others)

Yes, for Rectangular, Polar, Smith, and others. I don't know what a
Nichols chart is ...

> Is it easy to zoom in and out?

yes.

> Can you scroll once you're zoomed in?

yes.

> Can large amounts of data be handled (thousands and thousands of
> points)?

My data sets typically comprised 1^6 points. Does this qualify as
"thousends and thousends"? Anyway, I didn't test how large the data files
could get.

> Can it read out one or two waveforms out of a file that may have
> thousands?

No.
I'd use a trivial awk scrip to single out the desired waveform.

>> Any reason to reinvent the wheel?
>
> We'd like a round one?

xmgrace is open source. If the offending edges are small, it may be a lot
easier to fix the issue in place than to breed a whole new app.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
http://lilalaser.de/blog