Re: gEDA-user: firmware and the GPL license

On Thursday 15 November 2007, DJ Delorie wrote:
> > GTK is LGPL too, what problem do you refer to?
>
> Hmmm... perhaps I'm thinking of something else.

I think you might be thinking of QT.

In the early days, QT was licensed QPL, an interesting
GPL-incompatible license.

The problem is that KDE was built around it, and released GPL.
KDE apps would link (maybe dynamic) to QT, resulting in a
license clash.  As a result, some distros would not include it.

GTK (or the big support for GTK) exists because of this problem.
Many believe that "gnome" caught on mostly (or entirely)
because of this problem.  (or maybe exists because of this
problem.)

Eventually, the problem was solved by changing the license of QT
to GPL.  Note that it is GPL, not LGPL.