Re: gEDA-user: Questions on downloading and installing gnucap and gwave

On Friday 16 November 2007, Robert Butts wrote:
> When extracting gwave, should I extract it to: usr/share/?

No.

When you unpack a source tarball, do it in a place you can work
on it, not a public place like /usr/share.

Usually, you do "./configure" then "make".  Then try it where it
is.  To install it is usually "sudo make install".

I didn't check this one, but most by default install
in /usr/local   ..  This means the parts are put
in /usr/local/bin , /usr/local/share , or whatever.

There are differences of opinion on where applications should be
installed.  Usually the distribution you are using has made
some decisions, and you should stick to that.

For Linux, it is most common that packages managed by the
package manager go in /usr
(meaning /usr/bin, /usr/lib, /use/share .....)
and you should install non-managed packages in /usr/local.  This
is deliberately a different place from the managed packages.

A warning on gwave ....  It requires guile 1.6.  It does not
work with guile 1.8.  Do "guile --version" to verify that.

If you try to use 1.8, the messages it gives are not
particularly useful.