Re: gEDA-user: Questions on downloading and installing gnucap and gwave

On Monday 19 November 2007, Robert Butts wrote:
> > A warning on gwave ....  It requires guile 1.6.  It does
> > not work with guile 1.8.  Do "guile --version" to verify
> > that.
>
> So what do I do if I have guile 1.8, which I do?

Two possibilities:
1. Install guile 1.6.
2. If your distro has a package for gwave, use it.

Sorry, but that is the only way I know that works.

It is a known problem.  If it was my project, or if I knew
anything about guile, I would fix it, fast.

It is one of the problems with compiling from source.  Too
often, there is a dependency on a particular version of
something.  Another .. too often, the different versions cannot
coexist on the same system.

What is in question here is the development files.  If you must
compile it yourself, go ahead and install guile-1.6-dev.  If it
insists on removing guile-1.8-dev, go ahead and do it.  You can
put them back when you need them.  It is only an issue for
compiling.  Once you have compiled gwave, you can go back to
guile-1.8.

Is there anyone here who knows guile and is willing to fix it so
it works with both versions?  If it can't be made to work with
both, the new version only is preferred over the old version
only.