Re: gEDA-user: Ok, who moved pin 4?

Peter Clifton wrote:
<snip/>

We have a problem at CUED with various different formats / "types" of
> gerber, and no means to panelise them effectively.
<snip/>
> The thought occurred to me that gerbv is happy enough reading all of the
> above, and all the primitives themselves will probably translate pretty
> well into PCB primitives. (As I mentioned above, the commercial software
> which gets used at CUED can import compatible gerbers).

So, I'm confused.  Which problem are you trying to solve? Panelizing, or
  pcb file format conversion?

gerbv has the potential to be a much more powerful tool.

First off, I'd like to see a print capability added, so that I could get
check plots out of gerbv.  (Yes, pcb produces check plots, but when we
get a gerber from someplace else, gerbv is the natural place to print
check plots.)

Then, following up on Peter's 2nd comment, since gerbv has a robust
gerber reader, it would be a great platform for plugins.  If there were
an API that allowed a plug-in to walk the gerber file data structures we
could implement all manner of translators, checkers, and back-end tools
that could accept gerber from anyplace.  This would be valuable to me in
creating a paste stencil back-end, for instance.

Panelizing is independent functionality from the other two, also good.
I'd certainly want the ability to print check plots directly from gerbv
to go with it.

-dave