Re: gEDA-user: Ok, who moved pin 4?

On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 09:44 -0600, John Griessen wrote:
> DJ Delorie wrote:
>
> > I had to print each layer separately, because PCB wouldn't let me
> > paste two boards into one layout and flip one, which would have let me
> > etch both sides on one board then cut them apart and tape them
> > together.
>
> This triggers an idea for using PCB as a panelizer.  Write a script that
> takes a pcb drawing and flips sides from basic orientations, not by
> using the side definition for components.  The script output is a new
> pcb drawing that can be loaded and placed on the first one for
> panelizing purposes.  A left-right flip would be good for checking by
> identifying text, but could be rotated if wanted when placing it.

We have a problem at CUED with various different formats / "types" of
gerber, and no means to panelise them effectively. The software the
Electronics development guys have does not panelise anything with
"proper" polygons in the gerber, nor does it like Eagle's output (in
spite them paying £(probably lots) for commercial conversion software.

(In reality, the root problem is that they are using a home-brewed
software converter to munge gerbers into a form where another piece of
commercial layout software can import them. It doesn't appear to support
polygons - and why should it... it doesn't write them its self).

The thought occurred to me that gerbv is happy enough reading all of the
above, and all the primitives themselves will probably translate pretty
well into PCB primitives. (As I mentioned above, the commercial software
which gets used at CUED can import compatible gerbers).

Even if we'd loose the differentiation between pads / tracks in some
places, I think this would still be extremely useful.

It would also place us in a better position for helping people wanting
to import legacy designs to free software. If I'm not mistaken, all but
the most cripple-ware, fab vendor lock-in Windows software can export
some abomination of a Gerber file.

Best wishes,

--
Peter Clifton