gEDA-user: gerber2pcb gerbv script or function

Peter Clifton wrote:

> The thought occurred to me that gerbv is happy enough reading all of the
> above, and all the primitives themselves will probably translate pretty
> well into PCB primitives.

> Even if we'd loose the differentiation between pads / tracks

Sure, that would be a hit.  It wouldn't just promote open software,
but open hardware based on old designs and freely published reference designs and
eval boards.  You can make an argument that it helps piracy, but there's plenty of
legit reverse engineering to do, and that is always there, free tools or proprietary tools.

Ability to import an eval board from a chip maker as gerber2pcb primitives,
hack out junk from it, and essentially turn the whole thing into a footprint
would be a boon to education uses, and any developer use really.

John Griessen

--
Ecosensory   Austin TX