Re: gEDA-user: 2 make errors installing gwave

On Friday 30 November 2007, Robert Butts wrote:
> Nothing specific, get comfortable with simulation.  I came
> from using Mentor products, GUI driven, quite some time ago.
>  I started using LTSpice because it seemed familiar.  Then
> decided to resist the GUI urge and get comfortable with
> ngspice and/or gnucap as many suggested it is worth the
> effort.  When eventual simulation happens simulation will
> mostly be mixed signal control systems, some audio.

You might want to check out gnucap.org, and gnucap's own email
lists.

NGspice and gnucap are very different.

NGspice is locked into tradition.  It's spice-3 with updates.
There are no real core changes, but if a new model comes out
they will add it.  The latest is available only by CVS.

Gnucap breaks from tradition, and is trying to take the lead.
Play with the stable version to get started, then switch to the
development version for neat new stuff.  The plugin system
means that gnucap can have the new models sometimes within
hours of their public release.  Development snapshots come out
about monthly.  Stable versions come out when things settle,
roughly every year or two.  For now, there is a big difference
between the stable and development versions.