Re: gEDA-user: 2 make errors installing gwave

Thanks for all the input, however, I have a BSOD!

I thought I was being safe by posting those questions prior to screwing with, and screwing up, my system but somehow screwing up is the end result.  I started up in linux, fedora 7, to have at it again.  After some script flashing past me during boot up, some oks but quite a few fails, I got the following screen:

Server authorization directory (daemon/ServAuthDir) is set to /var/gdm but this does not exist.  Please correct GDM.

This message was in a gray box on a blue screen with an <OK> underneath.

I'm hoping someone knows exactly what this is and how to unbrake it.  It would be difficult to reproduce the steps I've been through.  I can say fairly confidently I did not edit any file or move any file.  The only file I opened was the gwave configure file and I opened it in a text editor.  I made no changes but I doubt that is the problem.  Really the only thing I did the since I came up successfully was search for and view  directories and files.

I don't know if I went with the wrong distribution when selecting Fedora.  A freind suggested it because they were rumored to have good support.  In hind sight I probably should have asked everyone here, the gEDA gurus, what is the best distribtion to use with gaf since this is the reason I started using linux.  Oh well, if this is unrecoverable, and I'm hoping it isn't, then consider the question out there!

Perhaps we should take a step back and look at the big picture.  What
are you trying to do?

Nothing specific, get comfortable with simulation.  I came from using Mentor products, GUI driven, quite some time ago.  I started using LTSpice because it seemed familiar.  Then decided to resist the GUI urge and get comfortable with ngspice and/or gnucap as many suggested it is worth the effort.  When eventual simulation happens simulation will mostly be mixed signal control systems, some audio.

That's it.  Someone to the rescue!

On Nov 30, 2007 7:46 AM, Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 22:55 -0500, Dan McMahill wrote:
> al davis wrote:
> > On Thursday 29 November 2007, Stuart Brorson wrote:
> >>  Yeah, I know that several people will now chime in and say
> >> "It's easy!
> >
> > I think he's using Fedora ...  Isn't there a package available?
> >  How about:
> >     "yum install gwave"
> >

> > ....  but you are correct. There is a real problem here.
> > and the creator of gwave doesn't hang out here.
>
> it doesn't help that guile-gtk basically died.  gwave either has to do a
> rewrite and dump guile-gtk or it has to use guile-gnome (or whatever it
> is called) which adds another whole large pile of dependencies.
> Otherwise it is stuck with guile-gtk that uses gtk1.

The latest gwave uses GTK2, with guile-gnome etc.. This said, there were
some issues I encountered when building it (harder than gwave in some
cases), and it didn't seem as stable (so I kept using the older gwave
for "production" use).

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,