Re: gEDA-user: OT: OpenOCD?

On Nov 1, 2008, at 5:58 PM, John Doty wrote:

> Anybody using OpenOCD? I looking at an Atmel AT91SAM7X-EK board for
> prototyping a data acquisition device, with the eventual intention of
> designing a custom board around the AT91SAM7X256 processor with gEDA.
> I need to program it somehow, and Windoze is alien to both the end
> users and me.
>
> I'd be interested in any experiences. There are no doubt other places
> to inquire, but I feel I understand the viewpoints of folks on this
> list, and they are more likely to be close to mine.

I'm using OpenOCD with an Atmel AT91SAM7S64 processor (home-made
board) and an Olimex USB-Tiny USB/JTAG converter under Fedora 9. It
took a bit of fooling around to get it up and running reliably, but it
has been working well since then. The important step for me was to use
the FTDI driver.

I haven't gotten the gdb stuff working 100% yet - something about the
RAM/Flash specifications that OpenOCD is supposed to send to gdb is
wrong so breakpoints don't work quite right. OpenOCD works great for
downloading code into the ARM flash though, and that's mainly what
I've been using it for.

Getting it all installed is a bit of a chore - tracking down all the
code, drivers, various application scripts, documentation, etc. can
take a while. The WinXX users have a lot of pre-packaged installs like
Yagarto available, but if you're on Linux then there's a bit less hand-
holding available.

Eric