gEDA-user: Newbie - no symbols - HELP!

I just installed gEDA for the first time and I can't pull down any
component  symbols (other than an empty title block).   All of the
library names are in the dropdown box, but there are none shown in the
preview box.  Can't pull up any components at all.   When program
starts, I get the following "Status" box:

Did not find optional ~/.gEDA/gafrc file [/home/dave/.gEDA/gafrc]
Did not find optional local gafrc file [/home/dave/gafrc]
Read system-gschemrc file [/etc/gEDA/system-gschemrc]
Did not find optional ~/.gEDA/gschemrc file [/home/dave/.gEDA/gschemrc]
Did not find optional local gschemrc file [/home/dave/gschemrc]
Read init scm file [/usr/share/gEDA/scheme/gschem.scm]
New file [/home/dave/untitled_1.sch]

Found a posting under gEDA on how to add a file for gafrc, but, frankly,
I don't understand the instructions on how to create the file, and how
to populate it.

I installed gEDA thru Synaptic, and thru apt-get (after removing first
installation instance).  No help, same problem both times.

Any idea on what I can do?

Thanks