Re: gEDA-user: GerberViewr gerbv

Stuart Brorson wrote:
>> Now if one could combine the OCR capabilities of some other Linux
>> programs with gerbv that would be really sweet ...
>
> Pardon my ignorance, but exactly what featureset are you describing by
> "OCR capabilities", and what would you like to see gerbv do?

What I mean is optical character recognition (OCR) on the silk screen
layers. A common scenario is this: A layout is contracted out because
the layout pros are usually less expensive than design engineers and
also know the common industry practices much better. Often a schematic
is not back-annotated and for a large board you then have trouble
finding certain parts. "Now where did he/she place U43, and where is C97?"

Therefore, some Windows-based Gerber viewers have a function where you
can key in "Find: C97". Then the Gerber view software performs an OCR on
both silk screen layers, finds C97 and zooms into the location where C97
is or places a blinking cursor there. I don't know how they exactly
work, possibly they do the OCR in the background right after loading the
silk01.pho and silk02.pho files so the program creates an internal
coordinate list of where all the parts are. That would make the find
response time much shorter because you don't have to run a fresh OCR
every single time.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/