Re: gEDA-user: powermeter board, with less ground planes :-)

DJ Delorie wrote:
>> Could you add another regular quad or octal ADC? Or replace one of
>> the ADE7753 with it? That way you could hook up things like water
>> pressure sensors, thermistors and other things that could be useful
>> in correlating power usage and outside effects.
>
> I'm already going to need four of these boards for my house, I can
> certainly build other boards for generic data aquisition.
>
> The R8C chip has twelve ADC channels on it anyway.  Hmmm... I seem to
> be using those pins for chip selects.  The motor control pins are
> free, though.  I suppose I could move the pins over to free up the ADC
> pins, but I'd like to get this board finished one of these days too ;-)
>
> <peek at board> I think moving the chip selects to free up the ADCs
> would be a relatively minor change.  Not sure what to do with the ADC
> pins, though - connector?  vias?  header?

Since you are in a hurry why not use a header for now? You can always
flesh that out later and mount a nice D-Sub or something with solder cup
connections in the plastic enclosure. Or plop down a 9-pin D-Sub where
your copyright note is but then you'd have to move that on the silk
screen, maybe to the center if you give the year its own line.

If you do that provide at least a 100K bleeder resistor to GND each and
if you can one in series (for extra ESD protection), maybe 1K. Even if
this only frees up 3-4 ADC inputs that'll be nice. Put the +5V on one
D-Dub pins as well. That way you could use cheap thermistors to measure
temperatures.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/