Re: gEDA-user: final modification

Hi Ethan and all,

On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 13:18 -0500, Ethan Swint wrote:
> > Is this really related to gerber output?
> > PCB program already has arbitrary shaped copper polygons.
> > Your mentioned AND, OR, XOR operations will again generate copper
> > polygons -- so it should be possible to handle negative stuff inside pcb
> > program, without concerning gerbers.
>
> Only a hypothesis - I'm not active on the PCB development side, so I'm
> not sure what obstacles there are to constructive geometry techniques.

IMHO, I would place my bets on replacing the original polygon with a
series [0, 1, 2, ..., N] of new polygons describing the results of the
boolean operations mentioned above.

Modifying the existing polygon would probably become too cumbersome if
new vertices need be added and holes ("negative" copper) in polygons to
be defined in ways currently not feasible within the current pcb file
format.

Better generate a new "positive" copper polygon, and delete the existing
one.

Just my EUR 0.02

BTW: would the "OR" operation result in an overlapping polygons, would
the "AND" operation result in the intersection of two polygons, and
would the "XOR" operation result in "negative" copper (a.k.a. a hole)
where two polygons were overlapping and leave "positive" copper where
only one of the two former polygons touched the laminate ?

Kind regards,

Bert Timmerman.