Re: gEDA-user: Back Annotation

>>> Is there a program that renumbers the reference designators in the PCB
>>> file based on their placement on the board, and then changes the
>>> schematic files to match?
>>
>> No.
>>
>> It's an important missing feature which is often discussed.  Nobody's done it yet.
>
> How does that type of renumber algorithm work? Is it completely automatic
> or do you group components by circuit section?

I can't speak for what the OP had in mind with 100% certainty, but
what I believe he wanted is something we used to do at one of my
previous places of employment:  After the PCB is fully layed out, then
you do a refdes renumber starting at the top left of the board, and
proceeding to the lower right.  I believe the renumbering is based
only on component position, not on any functional grouping.  Then you
backanno the new numbers to the schematic.

Done right (I don't know the algorithm), this tends to place
components with close refdes numbers near each other.  That way
it's easier to find a particular component on the board because
components with close refdeses are physically close to each other, so
if you're looking for C117 and you can find C115, then you know you're
close.

Cheers,

Stuart