Re: gEDA-user: From on side to the other one

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 7:27 PM, John Griessen <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Bernd Jendrissek wrote:
>> Seriously, one day when i get off my a** and build something useful
>> I'll probably make a bunch of dead-bug footprints in the hope of
>> getting the board cost way down.
>
> I like "flat pack" packages.  They're kind of like an upside down DIP.
> Are you thinking of low costs by using old parts?

Yes - junkbox parts!

> Can you get any crossovers done with lead bending of upside down packages?
> Do you get this kind of product assembled by sending to a far off land for hand-asembly?
> I'm not seeing how the cost would be automatically way down...

Assembly will be at the kitchen table in this far off land (South
Africa).  The cost I'm hoping to avoid is having vias and holes
drilled.  You'd still have tracks on the PCB (granted, this isn't
traditional dead-bug style) but no holes for the through-hole parts.
I think crossovers will have to be implemented with jumpers.  And it's
probably easier then to bend the DIP pins so they look like magnified
surface-mount devices instead of leaving them upside-down.

I'll have to experiment with crossovers on some sacrificial unmarked
junkbox chips.