Re: gEDA-user: pcb, how to remove mm garbage (very short lines)?

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 4:21 AM, Steve Meier <smeier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 1 in = 25.399999999972 mm not exactly 25.4 but close enough for layout
> work if you use high enough precision.

I recall one of my physics professors stating the same thing, but I
can't find anything to back up the claim.  What I *did* find was the
"survey inch" which is indeed not exactly 25.4mm.

> 25.4 to 1 might not be close enough if you are trying to put a satellite
> in orbit around mars.

Depends what you're trying to do.  You're going to have to make course
corrections later in the journey anyway, since your fuel metering will
have only a MUCH lower precision than that required to detect the
difference between an international inch and a survey inch (if that's
what you're referring to).