Re: gEDA-user: undo and zoom/view functions in gschem

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 2:46 PM, Stefan Salewski <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 27.11.2008, 08:30 +0000 schrieb Peter TB Brett:
>>
>> It's been like that since early 2005, at the very least. I find it quite
>> useful sometimes.

It's very useful (especially for layout editors or waveform viewers,
less for schematic editors) but it should rather use a separate "view"
stack (not an "editing command" stack) as in gschem. This is at least
how it is implemented in some other tools.

> I think long time ago I suggested two (or more?) zoom states, i.e.
>
> SHIFT  F1: Store current view1
>
> SHIFT  F2: Store current view2
>
> F1: Show view1
>
> F2: Show view2
>
> F3: Toggle between view1 and view2.

That's a good idea but it's probably difficult to make it general
enough for everybody. That's why gschem has a built-in scheme
interpreter, it should be easy enough to implement this function as a
scheme script and bind it to a key.

> I still think that this may be useful for gschem and pcb.

I am using quite a few scripts like this. Again, it's mostly useful
for layout editors when you want to switch many settings (visible
layers, rendering depth, modes, tool parameters, snap grids etc.) on
the fly. It's a matter of a task complexity vs. tool complexity
trade-off.

Perhaps it could be generalized as a "save/restore configuration
options" function but it still wouldn't be as flexible scripts.

Regards,
-r.