Re: gEDA-user: A component cannot contain another component?

> On Sun, 2009-11-01 at 13:09 +0100, Karl Hammar wrote:
> > [1] says so:
> >
> >   component
> >   Valid in: Schematic files ONLY
> >
> > ///
> >
> > But if create:
>
> Sounds like a bug... we should be rejecting things like that in case
> anyone finds some strange unintended behaviour, then starts to rely on
> it in a way which precludes us doing something different in the future.
>
> Specifically, regarding why this is a bad idea.. I suspect the
> net-listing of such nested components inside symbols will not work
> properly.
>
> There are already ways to do sub-circuits and hierarchy in gEDA, so
> unless there is a good reason, I'd suggest sticking to those.
>
> Was there something specific you were trying to achieve by inserting
> components in a symbol file?

This will be usefull for creating heavy components from light ones. For
example. For example 2N2222 could contain generic NPN bipolar transistor plus
TO39 footprint, a pinout and possibly some other info. Additional layer may
add for example order or storage number. The same graphic symbol could be
shared for all parts 2N3055, 2N2369, BC107, BC237, BC547, BC847, BF240 ...

Wojciech Kazubski