Re: gEDA-user: PCB+GL testing

On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 18:12 -0400, Mark wrote:
> On Sun October 25 2009 12:53:32 am Mark wrote:
> > It's 1 am so I'm off to sleep but I will give the debugger a shot tomorrow.
>
> Ok, it's been more like a week. :)
>
> Peter C.,
>
> You'll find the back trace in the attached file.  I had to run it with the --sync command otherwise
> trace would be empty.  The only thing that concerns me was having to press Ctrl+C in the debugger
> after the program crashed.  I made a note about it in the file but I'm just not sure how it
> affected the back trace.

If you needed to press Ctrl+C, then the program hadn't crashed per-se,
just got stuck. If it is waiting for input from XCB, then it may well be
stuck in a single place, so the back-trace would be really interesting.

(Stuck in a complex loop, such as processing redraw events / polygons
would be harder to diagnose).

As it stands, the back-traces don't help a great deal, since they are
missing a load of the debug information required.

What distro do you use? Usually there are "-dbg", "-dbgsym" or "-debug"
packages for various libraries. To fill in the "??" sections of the
back-trace, you need those installed. I'd suggest you probably need the
ones for:

(Ubuntu package names in brackets)

xlib (libx11-6-dbg)
xcb  (libxcb1-dbg, libx11-xcb1-dbg, possibly others)
gtk  (libgtk2.0-0-dbg)
glib (libglib2.0-dbg)
gtk-gl-ext (libgtkglext1-dbg)
C Library (libc6-dbg)

Possibly others are required as well, but the above is a good start.
Usually you can guess from the back-trace by looking around where it
goes to ??, on yours it looks like libx11 and libxcb1 are the first
contenders.

I know that there will be GTK / GLib signal emission between the PCB
calls I'm interested in seeing, and the back-trace you sent.

PS.. Did you compile PCB with the default CFLAGS? (Which include "-g"
for debug output?)

Best wishes,

Peter C.